Maxinoin capsule 20mg: uses, benefits, side effects and price
Maxinoin capsule 20mg contains isotretinoin, a potent solution for severe acne. Isotretinoin is a different form of all-trans retinoic acid. It helps fight acne in many ways, including by stopping sebaceous glands from working and reducing inflammation. However, its exact mechanisms remain unclear, and understanding its usage, side effects, and precautionary measures is crucial for effective treatment.
Some uses of the Maxinoin capsule (20 mg) are:
- Severe Acne: Isotretinoin is primarily prescribed for the treatment of severe forms of acne, including nodular or conglobate acne, which pose a risk of permanent scarring.
- Acne Resistant to Other Treatments: It is often recommended when acne fails to respond to conventional therapies such as topical treatments or oral antibiotics.
- Prevention of Scarring: Isotretinoin helps prevent the formation of scars by effectively reducing the size of sebaceous glands and suppressing sebum production.
- Maintenance Therapy: In some cases, isotretinoin may be used as maintenance therapy to prevent acne recurrence after an initial successful treatment course.
- Improvement of Skin Texture: Besides targeting active acne lesions, isotretinoin can also improve overall skin texture and appearance by reducing inflammation and promoting skin renewal.
- Psychological Benefits: Clearing severe acne with isotretinoin can lead to significant psychological benefits, improving self-esteem and quality of life for patients.
Key benefits of Maxinoin capsule 20mg include:
- High Effectiveness: Isotretinoin is highly effective in treating severe acne, especially when other treatments have failed.
- Prevents Scarring: By reducing inflammation and sebum production, isotretinoin helps prevent the formation of permanent acne scars.
- Long-lasting Results: A complete course of isotretinoin treatment can provide long-term clearance of acne lesions.
- Improves self-esteem: Clearing severe acne can significantly boost self-esteem and improve overall psychological well-being.
- Reduces Oil Production: Isotretinoin regulates sebum production, resulting in less oily skin and fewer breakouts.
- Anti-inflammatory Action: Isotretinoin has anti-inflammatory properties, reducing the redness and swelling associated with acne.
- Comprehensive Approach: Targets multiple factors contributing to acne, providing a holistic treatment approach.
- Preventative Effect: May prevent future acne outbreaks by altering the skin’s environment.
- Individualized Treatment: Can be tailored to individual needs, with dosage adjustments for optimal results.
- Last Resort Option: This represents a viable option for severe, treatment-resistant acne cases.
Some side effects of Maxinoin capsule 20mg are:
- Common Side Effects:
- Elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood
- Presence of protein or blood in the urine
- Increased susceptibility to infections due to potential impact on white blood cells
- Dryness and crusting inside the nose, leading to mild nosebleeds
- Sore or inflamed throat and nose
- Allergic reactions such as rash and itchiness
- Rare Side Effects:
- Temporary hair loss (alopecia)
- Vision problems, including decreased night vision, color blindness, and worsening color vision
- Increased sensitivity to light, requiring the use of sunglasses
- Sight issues like blurred vision, distorted vision, or corneal opacity
Avoid taking vitamin A supplements, tetracyclines, or using certain skin treatments for acne while on isotretinoin. Moisturizers and emollients are generally safe to use.
Do not take isotretinoin if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, allergic to isotretinoin or its components, have liver disease, or have very high levels of blood fat.
Inform your doctor if you have a history of mental health problems, including depression or thoughts of self-harm, as isotretinoin may affect your mood.
Only a dermatologist should prescribe or supervise the use of isotretinoin. Pregnancy must be avoided during treatment and for one month after stopping isotretinoin due to the risk of harm to the unborn baby. Regular monitoring of liver enzyme levels is necessary during treatment.
Maxinoin capsules (20 mg) are available for Rs 817 in Pakistan.