Calamox Syrup: Uses, Side Effects and Price in Pakistan
Calamox syrup is made up of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, both of which are good at killing germs. It is a co-amoxiclav drug, and people with respiratory tract diseases like to take it. The addition of clavulanic acid helps kill germs that are resistant to amoxicillin. People who have trouble taking pills can use this syrup instead.
Some uses of calamox syrup are:
- Acute bacterial sinusitis
- Acute otitis media
- Lower respiratory infections
- Broncho Pneumonia
- Genito-urinary Urinary infections
- Skin and Soft tissue infections
- Bone and Joint infections
- Post-surgical infections
Uses in Urdu:
یہ دوا بیکٹیریل انفیکشن جیسے کہ قلیل مدتی علاج کے لیے تجویز کی جاتی ہے۔
شدید بیکٹیریل سائنوسائٹس
شدید اوٹائٹس میڈیا
لوئر سانس کے انفیکشن
جنیٹو پیشاب کی نالی کے انفیکشن
جلد اور نرم بافتوں کے انفیکشن
ہڈیوں اور جوڑوں کے انفیکشن
جراحی کے بعد کے انفیکشن
Key benefits of calamox syrup are:
- Broad-Spectrum Antibiotic Action: Beta-lactamase inhibitor clavulanic acid and antibiotic amoxicillin are both members of the penicillin class. These two components work together to target a wide range of bacterial illnesses with a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity.
- Bacterial Infection Treatment: It is a popular treatment for a variety of bacterial infections, such as skin and soft tissue infections, urinary tract infections, respiratory tract infections, and other forms of infections.
- Bacterial Resistance: Clavulanic acid is added to fight bacterial resistance to amoxicillin by stopping the activity of some bacteria’s beta-lactamase enzymes. Certain medicines, such as amoxicillin, can be broken down and rendered inactive by enzymes called beta-lactamases.
- Convenience of Syrup Form: Patients who are young or who may have trouble swallowing tablets or capsules may find syrup forms of medication extremely helpful.
Some side effects of calamox syrup are:
- Anorexia (loss of appetite)
- Abdominal pain
- Urticarial skin rash (hives)
- Elevation of liver enzymes
Co-amoxiclav is contraindicated in patients with
- Hypersensitivity to beta-lactams, e.g., penicillin and cephalosporins.
- Previous history of amoxicillin-clavulanate-associated jaundice or hepatic dysfunction.
Warnings and precautions:
- People who have signs of liver problems should be careful when taking co-amoxiclav.
- In patients with renal insufficiency, dosage should be adjusted according to the degree of impairment
- It should be used during pregnancy only if the patient’s benefits justify the potential risk to the fetus.
- It is excreted in human milk. Caution should be exercised when it is administered to nursing mothers.
- For babies and toddlers younger than 12 months, 30 mg/kg/ml per day, split into two doses each day,. 5 mL of Calamox 156.25 mg syrup three times a day for kids ages 1 to 6 and weighing 10 to 15 kg.
- 5 mL of suspension three times a day for kids over 6 years old who weigh between 18 and 40 kg.
- For kids who weigh 40 kg or more, follow the directions for the adult dose.
Price in Pakistan:
- The current discounted price of calamox syrup in Pakistan is Rs. 125.